Science at Avonwood
We provide a very hands-on approach to science that challenges all of the children to acquire new knowledge and skills, and most importantly spark interest and develop curious minds.
Our Science curriculum follows the National Curriculum which encompasses Biology, Chemistry and Physics. It is taught by class teachers. We are fortunate to have a Science laboratory which is extremely well equipped to a Senior School standard. These facilities, alongside extensive outdoor areas enable pupils to develop their science knowledge and practical investigative skills, and apply their understanding beyond the traditional curriculum to areas such as horticulture and freshwater habitats.
The science curriculum at Avonwood provides children with a:
- Excitement for science, that inspires a curiosity about natural phenomena and the world around them.
- Coherent, sequential knowledge of the scientific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics.
- Secure, deep understanding of the nature, processes and principles of science through clear instruction and deliberate practice.
- Ability to apply secure, long-term knowledge to make predictions and connections between disciplines, and recognise the uses and implications of science in the wider world.
- Grounding in core disciplinary knowledge, and the ability to systematically approach challenging, scientifically-valid questions through:
- Scientific Attitudes & Planning
asking scientifically relevant scientific questions and designing controlled investigations.
- Measuring & Observing
learning how to use scientific apparatus like rulers and thermometers, and making systematic observations.
- Recording & Presenting
setting up data collection tables and presenting this data in a variety of charts and graphs.
- Analysing & Evaluating
interpreting and analysing findings; drawing conclusions and evaluating the reliability of investigations.